Thursday 17 December 2009

Christmas Blues

Look at the pretty lights! Ooo! This tree, surrounded by artificial snow, is outside the front of the Daffodil Restaurant. Its a bit garish for me but it does make a lovely festive scene. Very Christmassy.

Christmas is a strange time of year. It means all sorts of things to different people. To some it is a Religious celebration, to others its about friends and family, to some its about the presents, and to others its the food, drink and all the seasonal trimmings that make Christmas. To most people its a combination of all these things. Christmas is also a time to look forward with optimism to the coming year, but at the same time remember with fondness those people that are no longer with us, those people that have left our lives. We can look back on mistakes made with wise eyes, missed opportunities with sorrow, and things to come with joy. At this time of year its fine to occasionally have the Christmas Blues.

10 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Dazzling blue colors!

Pat said...

Lovely post, Marley. Christmas has become very low-key with me, and I think that's the way it should be. In fact, I like to live every day that way.

I like these lights, even though sometimes I think blue is sad. Here it isn't.

Andreea said...

Nice shot. I like how the reflection of the blue lights merges with the lights inside.
I also liked your thoughts on Christmas.

Unknown said...

It surely makes a wonderful photo, Marley!

Tash said...

One of your best photos. What a lovely write-up, you expressed it all so well.

My first thought from the photo was of Elvis Presley's song:

"I’ll have a blue Christmas without you
I’ll be so blue just thinking about you

And when those blue snowflakes start falling
That’s when those blue memories start calling
You’ll be doin’ all right with your Christmas of white
But I’ll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas"

Ken Mac said...

you've summed up Christmas perfectly Marley, except for one thing. And what it's about for me, and I mean with no falsity or pretension: the birth of Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Guess I don't go in for the obvious religious reference. But I love what you wrote!

Debbie Courson Smith said...

This is stunning!

Anonymous said...

I like the blue lights for an outside Christmas display & very well said - You really nailed it!

brian stout said...

i really like what you've said here as well, nice post marley! the crowds out shopping at Christmas really stresses me out... so i just to stay home =)

Chuck Pefley said...

Well said, Marley! You're right on all counts. Wishing you and yours the perfect kind of Christmas that fits perfectly!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin