Wednesday 13 May 2009

St Paul's Church

What can I tell you about the unusual looking St Paul's church? Well, its in one of Cheltenham's most deprived areas - St Paul's, its Cheltenham's only Greek Revival style building, it was designed by John Forbes and dates back to 1831, and was the towns first 'free' church. I think that covers the basics.

It has some really interesting architectural features - some that are familiar to Cheltenham, others that are unique.

These days the church promotes itself for the work it does within the community - offering help to struggling families, youth clubs for young people and workshops for locals. St Paul's really is at the heart of its community.
_

9 comments:

Virginia said...

Love this beautiful church and I like the photos of the details. You know I love a good column and that ball is pretty fab too! HA Gotcha

Great bowls of fire??? Smokin' balls?? Marley you are a hot mess as we say down here. Me thinks you've hung around B too much. HA

Pat said...

Very beautiful, and interesting post. I like it when churches REALLY get involved in the entire community, and not just restrict themselves to their own congregation.

brian stout said...

so majestic and beautiful!! i love these old buildings!

Hilda said...

The smooth walls threw me a bit there — I've been seeing some gorgeous stone walls in other CDPBs so suddenly seemed quite simple. I love how the church has really involved itself in the community though. In the end, I think that's what matters the most.

Rob said...

Nice to learn the church is getting back to it's roots of helping the community it serves.

Lori said...

What a beautiful structure. It sounds like they do great work too and really help the people around them. Nice shots!

Jackie said...

What brilliant photos, and a really positive place by the sounds of things.

Mo said...

I think all churches in the UK suffer the same problem. Falling congregation and lack of funds.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Interesting post. Church youth clubs take me back to my youth. You didn't have to belong to the church, but you were always welcome for a game of table tennis. Beautiful faded beauty images and a great plug for the heart of the community.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin