Thursday 21 May 2009

Fine Details

They certainly knew how to finish off a building in days gone by didn't they? You wouldn't see fantastic detailed sculpture like this on new buildings. Does anyone out there know what this styled topping is called? I have no clue. It looks like feathers or leaf fronds...

It is one of several, high up on the Hotel Kandinsky in Montpellier, which is undergoing a complete refurbishment inside and out. The hotel shut in September last year and is expected to reopen in the Autumn. Tomorrow I'll show you the very artistic hoardings that surround the site.
_

10 comments:

Lori said...

The ornamentation is beautiful! It reminds me of something on a wedding cake. Can't wait to see more from this site.

Virginia said...

Ahh someone will know. I think these are the same capitals from a bank here in Bham. Just lovely.
V

brian stout said...

i think it's called Corinthian... it is nice to see the detail they put in building things way back when... it was built to last, too!

Tash said...

One of my faves - architectural details. A very fine example, M.
(Loved your comment today - I can hear the British accent in the 'smaaht'.)

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

the overlooked details are fascinating aren't they - I'd look up more if it weren't for neck-ache.

Pat said...

Agree with Brian that it is Corinthian. Beautiful, no matter what it's called. Though sleek and often glossy, new structures just don't do it for me. I like more detail.

Hilda said...

Lovely details — they look more like leaves to me than feathers. Can't wait to see your photos of the hotel when it re-opens!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Proper detail and you are so right.

By the way.

This morning Phil Schoefield just asked whatever happened to white dog poo!

Ken Mac said...

Corinthian. Unlike Doric which is simpler, or Ionic, which is more streamlined.

Unknown said...

i like the way how it 'curls' up. ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin