Thursday 27 November 2008

Swan Song


I'm not that brave as to get that close to a swan, they can be quite feisty, I used the zoom! On Tuesday I went for a walk round Pitville Park. It was a bright, crisp afternoon and my camera was working overtime. There was so much to take in - joggers, cyclists, dog walkers, kids playing, a music video being filmed (more on that another day!) and plenty of wildlife. Back in July I told you about the swans on the lake and how the female of the breeding pair had been killed by a fishing hook, and that the male had been left to raise the nine cygnets. Well I can report that dad is doing a great job. The cygnets are as big as their father now and they have almost all of their adult feathers. An extra bonus for the swan population of Pitville Lake is that this is the male of another breeding pair. The lake now has twelve swans and counting!
_

11 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh Marley, look at you stepping out of the"box" and taking this fine shot. I LOVE it. CLose up and cropped just right. Also love when dad's step up to the plate and do the right thing. Bravo Poppa Swan!

Thanks for stopping by and visiting so often . You're a love!
V

Jane Hards Photography said...

Well you can just imaging the lanuguage coming out of me right now about those fishing hooks. As for the image, one from my own bag of tricks. Zooms can be tricky, but you nailed the focal part the head spot on.

Anonymous said...

That is really good to hear! Very nice zoom shot, btw!!!

Also, how did you get the list of "My Favourite Daily Photo Blogs" on your page?

Petrea Burchard said...

A single father! And a good one, too. How sweet. Nice shot, Marley!

Tash said...

Hurray for great dads! (you're going to have to use this one again on Father's day)
I know they are tempremental but they sure are beautiful. Your zoom shot is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Well done, this is a great shot. And how fantastic to hear about such a wonderful dad! I do remember you talking about the death of the female - how sad, I hope that doesn't happen again.

Tanya Breese said...

Beautiful Marley! And a great story. I missed the one back in July, in the midst of my moving! Sad but a happy ending :)

Kate said...

Hoorah for Dad. It's a beautiful photo, and how lucky for you that you get to watch the progress of the little ones!!

SH -ic said...

oh i know how he can react...ohh

brian stout said...

great photo marley! i like close ups like this, and yeah - these things can be mean! =)

Ming the Merciless said...

Oh wow! Love the colors and details. Great shot.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin