Thursday 31 January 2008

Having A Ball

I have just discovered artist Giles Penny while trying to find the creator of this bronze sculpture, Man With Ball, and I really like his style. Giles Penny was born in 1962 in Dorchester, Dorset and studied at various Art Colleges between 1978 and 1984. His website says "His fondest way of working is in relief, which he believes is half way between sculpture and drawing." and his work is, more often than not, in bronze. His drawings, sculpture and relief work all have a humorous and friendly nature, and is accessible to none arty types, like me. The work shown is about 8 feet tall and stands in the entrance to housing development Sheldons Court (off of Winchcombe Street), it was commissioned by Crest Homes in 2000. Giles Penny's work has been used in many different locations including many pieces at the Bodyshop Headquarters, the Atrium Garden at the BBC and at Canary Wharf London.

Check out more of Giles Penny's work here http://www.gilespenny.co.uk/Large20%Sculpture.htm

5 comments:

slim said...

It must have been fun discovering this "friendly" guy with the ball. Giles Penny's work is delightful. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have had to give up my blog. My Brother in Law died and my (twin) sister needs me more. Will still be food blogging a bit though.

Your blog is looking fantastic. Loved the snowdrops. I'll be back soon :-)

Lori said...

I like it too. It does have an accessible and straightforward way about it. I will have to look at more of his work. Thanks for introducing us to this artist.

brian stout said...

Very nice sculpture - i like the smooth edges in the piece, my mom sculpts also - i'll be posting some of her work soon.

Ming the Merciless said...

I love the smooth lines on the sculpture. Man With Ball is quite a stunning piece of work.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin