Saturday 12 January 2008

Dried Up Neptune

I'm back! It's been a while but now I'm sorted with new computer and, more importantly, new camera so normal service has resumed!


This is Neptune's Fountain, built in 1892-3 to perk up the end of the Prom. At the time a local town guide said "It was installed when Victorian Gothicism was on the wane, with beaux arts influences gaining ground on a lingering neo-mediaevalism." I couldn't agree more! Designed by borough engineer Joeseph Hall, it is based on Rome's Fontana di Trevi. It was carved from Portland stone by local company R.L. Boulton & Sons and water first flowed on 30th October 1893. Over the years the fountain has under gone numerous running repairs including new balustrade and urns. Most noticeable was the lack of Neptune's right arm, which was missing for several years until a replacement was installed. The day I took the photo the water, as you can see, was off. I'll post a photo in the summer when its in full flow.
_

3 comments:

Ming the Merciless said...

Hurray on the new computer and camera. Do you notice any major difference in the speed of the computer and the quality of the photo from the new camera?

marley said...

Ming - The speed of the computer is fantastic, everything takes seconds! I am so pleased with my new camera, the zoom and picture definition are excellent. Thanks Phoebe for a cool christmas present!

Neva said...

I believe I need to consider a different camera! Everyone seems to have a new one!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin